(by Patrick Corless)
A light small 29mm rocket with a stealth like appearance. A true departure from
the traditional Loc kits.
Single body tube design, with 2 large wood fins and 4 smaller stabilizing fins
on the outer ends.
This was my first Loc Precision kit, so I was not sure what to expect in
terms of quality. After opening the package and examining the contents, I was
very satisfied. The tubes were smooth and stiff, with no dents. The fins were
straight with no warping.
The instructions were very comprehensive considering this was the
beta test kit. I decided to make my own fin alignment lines on the body tube
instead of using the fin alignment template supplied with the kit. I was a
little skeptical about the paper wound launch lug. It seemed a little tight and
bulky, but I went with it anyway. It turned out to work just fine. The shroud
that went over the launch lug is made by splitting a length of supplied body
I assembled all the fin components using Aeropoxy and added fillets to make
the joints stronger as I intended to push this kit to the extreme to see how it
After filling in the grooves and sanding the entire surface, the rocket was
ready for painting. I used 2 coats of flat black Krylon to stay with the
stealth look. I intended to put decals on before the first flight but I ran out
of time and wanted to fly.
With all the fins and cutting the shroud I would not recommend this as a
out of 5
I wanted a good engine for the first flight and the largest one recommended in
the instructions (a G38-7) sounded a little too slow for the way I built the
rocket. A short conversation with Larry at Rocketmotion and I decided to go
with an Aerotech G80-10. So I friction fit the motor in the adapter and fit the
adapter in the body tube. I then put about ¼ cup of the recovery material
that came with the kit (Affectionately known as dog barf) and was off to the
At launch it took off fast, straight and suprisingly quiet. At an estimated
apogee of 2400 Ft. the rocket arched over and the parachute ejected (couldn't
ask for a better delay). It landed about 100 ft. from the .
The only damage after recovery was a scorched parachute from not enough
wadding. The elastic shock cord held up fine. I wish I had more time to launch
it with a bigger motor, but it was near the end of the day. I don't
particularly care for the recovery wadding that comes with the kit. I intend to
add a Kevlar
out of 5
Overall this is an excellent kit, this will be one of the favorites in my
fleet. It is robust enough to take larger motors, yet at a built weight of
about 13oz. It is light enough to fly lower powered motors and still have
plenty of fun.
out of 5
(Contributed - by Andy Miller)
Picture courtesy of
Loc/Presicion Starfighter is an aggressive looking mid power rocket that
resembles a jet airplane.
I used an 18 inch custom parachute from Recovery Technology. There really
wasn't anything wrong with the original, I just liked the Recovery Technology
chute. The original would most likely do just as well. I used a clip for motor
retention and replaced the shock cord with 12 feet of 600 lb Kevlar.
The rocket consists of:
- one single tube
- two wings and a tail
- the two wings have four stabilizers
This kit is an easy build for anyone familiar with plywood fins. The hardest
part is aligning the wings/tail properly and cutting the the bottom launch lug
cover lengthwise. The instructions are fairly easy to understand and were
usable, but for my 46 year old eyes, they could have been printed a wee bit
larger. This bird is solid as a rock once the epoxy cures.
No special requirements or techniques, no decals are included, and paint is
same as any other project of this type.
out of 5
I wasn't comfortable using an E motor in a small bird of this weight, so I went
straight to the F20 motors. It does require wadding (in my case
"barf" cause that's what I had at the moment). Motor retention is a
friction fit straight out of the box, however I included a motor clip just to
be safe. It flies spectacularly on an F20 motor--boost is straight up and out
The Starfighter recovers fairly close due the smallish chute. I replaced the
shock cord with 12 feet of 600 lb Kevlar,
through the upper motor mount adaptor and wrapped it around the motor mount,
epoxying it there after knotting it. The chute does have a small amount of
burning on one side now after 5 flights (all on F20s) but that was my fault as
I didn't add enough barf on its first flight.
out of 5
I didn't find any cons although I thought the shock cord attachment according
to the instructions wasn't enough, but I prefer to overbuild everything.
out of 5